Lets Talk Sports

Lets Talk Sports
Lets Talk Sports

Monday 11 April 2011

Soccer Mania

 I’m a big fan of soccer. Whatever you call it,足球,  fútbol,  fußball,calcio, soccer or football. I just love this game.
     My peers in China, especially those girls who fancy basketball, are often confused why I’m into such a dull 90-minute game in which the players simply kick the ball back and forth. “Don’t you feel bored when you spend a bunch of time watching soccer and it only turns out 0 to 0?” They ask. Absolutely not!! Like any other sport, soccer is about passion, competition, teamwork. Moreover, it’s a spectacle where art, psychology, culture, even magic can all collide. The simplicity of” kick the ball around” contains infinite complexity and everyone can get pure fun from the game. video:I love football
     As a female soccer fan, I admit I’m not keen on the strategy in the real game. When I’m following it, I reckon myself as a psychologist, anthropologist and  philosopher more than a pure sports fan. Yes, I like exploring the psychological factors in those games because sometimes they matter more than the playing skills and for that reason Germany has always been my beloved national team. I believe that the strong willpower, good mentality are the key to Germany’s stable performance which are scant in many stars-gathered, elegant but fragile teams such as England, Argentina etc. Spain was once and for a long time in this list. However, its fate has been rewrited in the last three years since 2008 Euro Cup. The team has become more mature and won the 2010 World Cup eventually.  

    Speaking of the World Cup, that’s another reason why I/we love this game. In my view, rather than an ultimate test of a nation’s soccer skills, W.C is an ultimate clash of culture. Every national team has its own unique style reflecting its cultural characteristics: Latin fire, Mediterranean passion, Deutsch toughness and invincibility, Aussie rebellion and fearlessness. Sadly as a Chinese fan, after being hurt by my own national team for countless times, I really can’t define our cultural characteristics, so maybe “unpredictable Chinese whimsy”. Anyway, better just forget about it. 

     So what is the ultimate reason I love this game  so deeply?  Because soccer is life itself. We follow it as we live.

by: Angel

1 comment: